Monday, August 18, 2008

Angie's Adventures in Sewing

When I was in 7th or 8th grade, I made a sweatshirt in my home economics class. I didn't do a fabulous job, but it turned out well enough that I remember actually wearing it to school. Now, that probably doesn't say TOO much since I was just "geeky" enough to wear something like that! I don't recall any of my friends wearing theirs to school so I'm sure I wore it because I was proud that I had actually created it. LOL!

After that, my next attempt at using a sewing machine was in April of 1999. My sister-in-law was visiting and I asked her if she could help me make Ice Princess a dress. I believe that while I tried to do it, she ended up completing the project.

Fast forward to 1 week ago. for the last few months, I have been on the hunt for a inexpensive, used sewing machine. I considered buying a new one but to be honest, I wasn't 100% sure I would use it enough to justify buying a new one. Anyway, most of the machines I found for sale were 200 and 300 hundred for a REALLY GOOD used machine or they were sergers. If I found one in the price range I was willing to pay, it was typically an antique machine in a cabinet or belonged to someone who lived 30 minutes or more from me. Gas prices being what they are, I certainly did not want to travel very far!

A week ago, I was browsing the ads once again and to my surprise, I found a machine located in my town and it was a price I was willing to pay! YIPPY! It is an older machine(I would guess 20+ yrs old), but I didn't care. The lady I bought it from, didn't know much about it since it had been given to her. When I got it home, I tried it out. I'm grateful it came with the manual... it has come in very handy! This machine has some quirks that drive me batty, but so far I am figuring it out. I've turned pants into shorts and I've made some cloths for the kids to use to dry off their ice skate blades. I can see making curtains, placemats and various other things I will use around the house too. However, the biggest reason I wanted to learn how to sew, was so I could make my daughter ice skating dresses.

I had been playing with my machine long enough to know that all of the stitch functions worked and I was able to sew a straight line. I decided to go and buy a pattern and some material to make Ice Princess a skating dress. I found some material for less then 10.00! I actually paid more for the pattern then I did for the fabric! I wasn't too bothered by that since I intended to make her more dresses.

I measured my daughter, cut out the pattern, arrangedthe pattern pieces on the fabric and then cut the fabric. I was so proud of myself for doing all of that! I was so excited thinking Ice Princess might have a new dress by Monday(this was Thursday). I sat down at my machine and decided before I tried sewing the actual dress, I would practice on some left over, scrap fabric. Much to my dissappointment, I could not get the same results I was getting on the other fabrics I had been practicing on! I don't know what the problem is! I can't figure it out. I have tried and tried to no avail. I can sew other things just fine, but for some reason, I cannot get my machine to work well with this fabric! I haven't given up on sewing Ice Princess a dress, but I have decided I will need to ask for help! Thankfully my mother in law can sew. I am hoping she can enlighten me and show me what I am doing wrong! Yes, Kelli, I am planning on askingyou for help! Hee hee! I am bound and determined to make this dress! One way or another, I will figure this out. Making Ice Princess'dresses will definately save me money in the long run! Now if only I can figure out HOW to get my machine to cooperate with me! When I get it sorted out, I will post pictures of her in her new dress. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try adjusting the tension. I would guess you are using a fairly slippery fabric and the stitch is slipping?
I would love to learn to sew more too, my MIL is a great seamstress and I should take the time to learn more from her!
Erica

Angie said...

Thanks, Erica! I need to try that. Time to pull out my handy, dandy manual again to see if I can figure it out. The foot definately holds the fabric under it tightly. Because it does that, I cannot get the fabirc to flow under the foot correctly. It's frustrating! I WILL get this! :-)

Ice Mom said...

Hey, Angie!

Have you tried using a new ball point needle? Ball points are made for knits and slide through the fabric easier.

Each time I start a new outfit, I use a fresh ball point needle.

If you're sewing lycra, realize that it's kind of forgiving. Feel free to stretch it a bit if you need to as you sew.

I'm wondering, too: what kind of fabric are you using? Panne and stretch velvet both have a pile and will shift while you sew. you might have to re-pin after you sew a seam partway.

Best wishes for success, Angie!

Ice Mom

Angie said...

Hi, Ice Mom,

I was using lycra when I posted that entry. SInce then, I've discovered that changing my thread helped greatly. Not to mention, I bought more needles. I cannot recall if they are ballpoint or not? At any rate, I've made a little bit of progress and can now sew the lycra. My newest problem is getting the elastic to work well! Oh and I've also added another fabirc into the mix. I found a very pretty tie-dye looking velvet fabric for 60% off at Hancock Fabircs! The colors match perfectly with the lycra I bought so this dress will be two-toned. Hancock has Penne on sale this week also, so I will be picking some of that up. I thik it is something like 3.49 a yard! Can't pass THAT up. It only takes 1 1/2 yrds to make Ice Princess a dress! :-) Thanks for the advice!